Fireworks displays can be enjoyable and spectacular – but they need some careful planning to reduce risk. Here are some simple guidelines to help you stay safe this bonfire night.
What To Consider When Organising Fireworks Displays
Before the event:
- Plan who will operate the display. You can light a display yourself provided it contains fireworks in categories 1, 2 and 3 only. Category 4 fireworks can only be used by a professional firework display operator.
- Make sure the site is large enough for your display. Is there sufficient space for fireworks to land away from any spectators? Check the area in daylight for obstructions such as overhead power lines. What direction is the prevailing wind? What if it changes?
- Make a plan for what to do if things go wrong. Who will be responsible for calling out the emergency services?
- Always procure your fireworks from a reputable supplier.
- Store the fireworks safely. Your firework supplier will be able to advise you on how to do so.
On the day of the event:
- Check the site, weather conditions and wind direction again
- Keep the firing area and the zone where the fireworks will fall clear of people
- Don’t let people bring their own fireworks
- If you will have a bonfire, check the structure is sound and no small children or animals are inside it before you light it
- Never use a flammable liquid to light a fire
- Never relight fireworks and keep clear of fireworks that did not go off
The morning after the event:
- Carefully check and clear the site. Dispose of fireworks safely. Never burn them, especially in a confined space like an incinerator
RV Fire Systems Fire Safety ExpertsFor expert advice on all aspects of fire safety, fire safety training and the supply and installation of the best fire safety, fire detection and firefighting equipment in the North West call us at RV Fire Systems on one of our local numbers below:-
Clitheroe Fire Safety Advisors:- 01200 439333
Blackburn Fire Safety Advisors:- 01254 367611
Blackpool Fire Safety Advisors:- 01253 804199
Preston Fire Safety Advisors:- 01772 970411
Manchester Fire SafetyAdvisors:- 0161 8260480